Sunday, November 29, 2015

Some things are funnier when you're older.

Update for Nov 30-Dec 4

I wrote this post 3 years ago for a blog we were doing at Horizon Elementary.  I reread it this weekend after finding an awesome solution to putting up Christmas lights.  
Hope you enjoy!

_________

My family and I have lived in our house for 3 years now and each year I'm expected to put up lights outside during the holiday season.

I don't really have a say.  When I complain, I get a reminder that our daughters (the bosses) won't be young much longer.  After my guilt trip, I usually get going.

Usually decorating consists of me throwing a few strands of lights that still work from last season around the tree in the front yard a couple of times and calling it a day.

That wasn't going to cut it this year.

For the past few weeks, my four year old (the manipulator) looks out the window at the neighbor's house lighted up in all it's glory and says, "Can we make our house look like that?".

The neighbor's house: success.

This time I took holiday decorating as a challenge.  I made a plan for how I'll get things done and start early on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.  By the end of the day, only half of what I wanted to complete was done because I didn't account for two things:

1. The ladder didn't reach the rooftop.

2. I still haven't conquered my fear of falling off ladders that don't reach rooftops.

Our house: fail.

The day ended with me trying to grab onto some shingles for leverage while I kick my leg up onto the gutter.  What was I thinking?  I stopped and actually said, "What am I doing?  I'm going to end up like Clark Griswold."

And that's when it hit me.  The scene in the movie National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, where Clark is hanging on his gutter trying not to fall from the roof, got 10 times funnier in that moment.  I used to think it was just a funny scene, but now I get it.
I guess somethings are funnier when your older.







2015 Follow-up -- 

This year, I wised up (Thank you inventors of "Star Shower"!)






Articles Worth Reading - -

“The Maker Movement is about Making Meaning” by @wakeupsilver https://medium.com/@wakeupsilver/the-maker-movement-is-about-freedom-25ef8a323022#.8xqfxtnv2

"Passion or Passive?" 
http://georgecouros.ca/blog/archives/5824 via @gcouros





Upcoming Dates -- 

Dec 1 - BIT Meeting -- Please have your wish list items submitted by Dec 1 to be considered by PTO.

Dec 2 - Yearbook Picture Day; ADE Staff Meeting, 8:00 AM - Media Center

Dec 3 - Admin Meeting (Herb)

Dec 7 - PTO Meeting, 7PM

Dec 8 - 3rd Grade ELA State Assessment; Steering Committee Meeting, 3:45 - ADE Media Center

Dec 9 - 3rd Grade ELA State Assessment; Ed Team Meeting, 12:30; IAT Meeting, 3:45

Dec 10 - PD Series by Donna - "Dealing with Challenging Children", 3:45 ADE Media Center

Dec 11 - KG Toys for Tots Fire Station Visit

Dec 16 - ADCC Staff Meeting, 3:40 - ADE Media Center 

No comments:

Post a Comment