Sunday, September 28, 2014

In It Together

Update for Sept 29 - Oct 3




I don't like to make promises, but I promise you I will try to show gratitude for the work you do for kids day in and day out. So let me start by saying thank you. Thank you for helping me throughout the entire week. Your help and support made a huge difference for me.

I have to be honest. Last week was one that took a lot of my time and energy. However, the best part of last week was actually how "busy" it really was. Last week helped me see that we have folks within our learning community who will step up and say, "How can I help?".

It's that kind of response to challenges and difficult situations that allow us to realize our potential for taking on future challenges.  I am confident that, together, we will be able to continue our work in creating a learning community that works for the kids we serve.

Thank you for a great week!

Reminds / Upcoming Dates --

EdCamp Logistics –
On Monday, I will be contacting students who have yet to turn in an EdCamp Session choice or students who will need to make a 4th choice due to sessions being full.  I hope to get session confirmations to student by Tuesday.

Data Team Dates –
We will be starting our half-day release times for Data Teams on the following dates:
·       Oct 22 – 5th Grade, half-day AM; 4th Grade half-day PM
·       Oct 23 – 3rd Grade, half-day AM; 2nd Grade half-day PM
·       Oct 30 – KG half-day AM; 1st Grade half-day PM (This is a switch in order to coordinate 1/2 time teachers' schedules).

More information will be coming to you in the near future. I just wanted to get these dates out to you.

Interims – Oct 3
I would like for you to take this opportunity to communicate with parents how their child is doing so far with the material you are focusing on at this time in the year. Just like you, I believe that supporting the growth and success of each of our kids is the most important aspect of the work I do. Please turn your interims into my mailbox by Wednesday, Oct 1 so that I have a chance to review each of the interims.  I appreciate your support. Please see me if you have any questions.

Why is he in here? -- 
I’ve had a couple of folks ask my why I am in classrooms nearly every day.  I appreciate that others may be wondering too, so I wanted to share with you my response.

The work that teachers do is the most important work that is being done within our learning community. Seeing the instructional best practices and strategies that are being utilized by teachers is the best way for me to support the work you do. It’s like checking the heartbeat of the building.

When I walk into a class and stick around for a bit, I always try to see things from the students’ perspective. I use a framework of four questions that I ask from the perspective of the child that helps me form an understanding of the learning experience:
  1. What is important for me to do in today's lesson? (Learning Target)
  2. What​​ must I learn to be able to do it? (Lesson-sized chunk of content knowledge & skill)
  3. How will I be asked to show that I can do it? (Performance of understanding)
  4. How well will I have to do it? (Success criteria or "look for")
Upcoming Dates –

Mon Sep 29, 2014
Submit items for BAC agenda to Herb by the end of the day.

Wed Oct 1, 2014
Interims due in Herb’s mailbox
12:30-1:30 Special Education Department Meeting

Thu Oct 2, 2014       
Mumkin Delivery
5:30pm - 6:30pm Market Day

Fri Oct 3, 2014       
K-5 Interims Due
Newsletter Home
8am - 9am Building Advisory Committee Meeting
After school - ? Setup for Warrior Dash

Sat Oct 4, 2014
Warrior Dash! 10:00am - 2:00ish (Grade-specific start times).  Here is more information about Warrior Dash -- DASH INFO

Tue Oct 7, 2014       
8am - 9am Building Improvement Team mtg -- Team members - Please be ready to share examples of PBIS in other buildings (A Google search will provide many examples).  We will be working on finalizing the "matrix".  Thanks!

Fri Oct 10. 2014       
9:30-11:00am Kids’ EdCamp

Mon Oct 13, 2014   
3:35-4:20 ADE/DCR Staff Meeting at ADE
6:30pm - 7pm PTO Executive Mtg
7pm - 8pm PTO General Mtg

Thu Oct 16, 2014       
Spirit Day
6pm - 8:30pm Tailgate Party

Fri Oct 17, 2014        Central Ohio In-Service Day - No School for Students 

Videos That Inspire-




Articles Worth Reading -- 


"What Our Fear Actually Inhibits" - via +George Couros

"Lead with the heart" via




No comments:

Post a Comment