Sunday, August 17, 2014

Opening the School Year: It's a Roller Coaster Ride!

magic-mountain-pov-rollercoaster.jpg


Two of the best moments in my life were the birth of my two daughters.  Both of those moments were a roller coaster ride filled with anticipation, excitement, fear, anxiety, stress, and pure joy. I never thought I would ever experience anything like those moments again. 

Well, I’m here to tell you that preparing an elementary school for a new school year as a principal has pretty much contained all of those same kinds of emotions for me.


However, despite the lack of sleep, the anxiety, and the energy it has taken to open a building, I have never been this excited for school to start. Ever.


I can’t wait to see the kids walk into the building for the first time this year! We get a chance each day to make a difference and to change the world by helping to prepare our kids for the future. Just think about that for a moment. We honestly get the opportunity each day to change the world. That to me is a dream come true.

The anticipation of the first day of school and the monumental task we have been given is worth the roller coaster ride and I am ready to go over the hill with my hands up! Here’s to a great school year!




The Week Ahead


Monday, August 18 -- Convocation -- Hilliard Bradley High School, 2800 Walker Road

*Please remember to wear our new ADE Staff t-shirts!
7:45 am–8:15 am - Coffee and Juice in the Commons 
8:30 am – Welcome and Program Begins in Gymnasium
 After Convocation, the rest of the day is for you to get ready for the new year!
11:30 - School Safety Team meeting (Media Center, 15 minutes) - - I will email those of you who are listed on the Incident Command Structure.
4:00-5:00 - Meet the Teacher Open House -- Support staff, please make yourself available to help our families find classrooms. We may need some volunteers to help families access Home Access. I will be in touch with some of you to see if you can help out.
4:00-6:00 - PTO Ice Cream Social -- Located outside behind the gym. Servings are on sale for $1 each.  Thanks to ADE PTO for organizing this event!  
Tuesday, August 19 -- First Day of School!
Wednesday, August 20 --
Thursday, August 21 --
Friday, August 22 --


Articles / Blog Posts Worth Reading


"4 Principles Of Student-Centered Learning" via

"Who is going to stop me?" via

"OS!M" - Teacher at Heart via




No comments:

Post a Comment